Friday, December 21, 2012

Destiny

des·ti·ny  

Noun
  1. The events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future.
  2. The hidden power believed to control what will happen in the future; fate.

Do you believe in destiny?
I believe that my life is controlled by my choices. There is guidance. Sometimes our choices should be obvious, but there are times that we are oblivious to the obvious.
When I was in high school I was chosen to participate in a special arts program for gifted students. I laughed at the teachers that gave me the opportunity and said, "Thanks, but I don't think that I'm a gifted artist."They whisked me away to visit an art museum in Miami. Then to an opera taking place at the famous Fontainebleau.
I slid out of the ear piercing performance and explored the upscale architecture.  I rode the elevator to the penthouse floor, hoping to get a glimpse of the rich and famous. Out to the balmy Miami night sky. I was taken back by the kidney shaped pools and swaying, up-lit palm trees. Then back to the opera for the final standing ovation. I was also allowed to meet a famous artist and attend a brief lecture from him.
Of course I had never heard of him but I thought his work was cool. His name was James Rosenquist .
Those teachers in that high school were guiding me but I was oblivious. I didn't appreciate art. I never dreamed that I would become an artist.
I was too immature and wrapped up in myself to even see. 
Looking back, Things are a bit clearer. I truly appreciate the chance that they gave me. So often its clearer to others than it is to ourselves. How many times has someone told you that you were talented in a certain way? Hello McFly!! It may be your density! (destiny)
We all have our talents and desires. Desire actually develops talent. But until we are ready to take actions on our desires, they will only be dreams. Be it destiny or pure choice, chances are given. Assistance is offered. The door is open.
We can't look back and regret things that we didn't accomplish. Not even to yesterday. Each moment is new. As of now, I am a grateful artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment